mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Thursday, August 18, 2011

Listen Up

Rock and Roll: a style of popular music that derives in part from blues and folk music and is marked by a heavily accented beat and a simple, repetitive phrase structure.




It's hard to define Rock & Roll, but you know it when you hear it & SEE it.


Growing up in a predominantly white neighborhood in the 70's there were three things that stood out to me that I can still recall til this day: QFM96, black rock and roll concert tee shirts and that no one, and I mean no one, had hair quite like mine. 

Me in the 70's... I really can't say anything other than I told you so. 
I mean really look at that shirt!

As a young black kid the musical anthem inside my house comprised of The O'Jay's, Earth, Wind & Fire, The Jackson's (and the Jackson 5) and Al Green to name more than a few. But outside of the home, in the halls of Hilliard Junior High and Hilliard High School shop class, it was rock and roll; at the Hilliard pool in the summer time you could hear Foreigner, the Stones, AC/DC and Journey to name more than a few again.

I can still remember QFM's "Two for Tuesday" and Sunday night live concert replay, and stopping by Brian Clarridge's house every morning in 7th grade as he and his older brothers would have the Rolling Stones blaring in the house; I waited in astonishment, and for Brian to walk out in a black rock and roll T-shirt... he wore one almost everyday... 

And he wore one no matter the weather.

I can still remember Paul Brown, the pool manger, turning up Phil Collins In the Air Tonight as loud as the speakers, and parents, and senior management, would allow.


 Construction of the Hilliard pool in July of 1975

And yes, Kool and the Gang sneaked in over the speakers every once in awhile along with the Gap Band, Prince and Ray Parker Jr., thanks mainly to Eddie Welch, but it was still the sound of rock and roll I will always remember...

and cherish.

I fell in Love with The Police, the Rolling Stones and David Lee Roth's Van Halen early, but it has been over the past five years that I can't get enough of classic rock

I still love Al Green, Earth, Wind & Fire and the Commodores to name a few again, but there are many times when I'm working out I want to hear the GUITAR... you know what I'm talking about...
 
The Guitar

I want to hear the drums and the screaming voice of Robert Plant and Billy Squire. And speaking of Robert Plant, nice try Jane's Addiction with Jane Say's... it is a good song but you totally ripped it of Led Zeppelin's Over the Hills and Far Away. Just because you added steal drums to your "version" doesn't make it different or original.

Where was I.. ooh yea... rock and roll.

I want it and I want it loud.

I know... relax.

My wife just informed me to turn it down; "the kids are a sleep", she says.

I told her to take them outside... Yea right I did, this is my third marriage... I know the drill.

"Honey I just turned it down! Geez." 

Really, who says geez? I embarrassed for myself.

Anyway, the original thought for this piece was peace.

The need for it, the constant pursuit of it and the deepest desire to obtain it.

Peace.

The last few weeks my peace of mind has all but evaded me. Whether it is the stress of the "career", issues with kids, wondering where the finances are and when they are going to show up or just life period; there are times it can all be a bit overwhelming. And as a man of faith it even more disconcerting because I know that I'm to cast all my cares onto Him.  

I'm not doing very well with that at the moment.

It is amazing to me the minute you begin to focus on your issues, problems and, or concerns, and not on God, you lose your way.

Every time. Every single time.

So where is all of this going? 

It is going to Boston.


Boston (1976)


It hit me yesterday while I was working out when a song began to play while my itouch was on random play. It was Boston and the song was Peace of Mind.

I'm going to refrain from sharing with you what the song said to me. I don't want to waste anymore of your time.

I just want you to listen.

Listen up.

Turn your speakers up and listen. Hopefully it will take you back, if you are of age, to a different time and maybe, just maybe, it will speak to you in some kind of way like it spoke to me.

Peace of mind... everyone wants it.

Maybe I will write about it someday. What I really need to do right now is spend some time in God's word and in prayer... yea that is all true, but for now I want to listen to what Boston has to say about it. Listen & enjoy.




 Peace of Mind

Now if your feelin' kinda low 'bout the dues
you've been payin'
Future's comin' much too slow
And you wanna run but somehow you keep on stayin'
Can't decide on which way to go
Yeah. Yeah.
I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People living in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind
Yeah.
O-o-o-h.

Now you're climbing to the top of the company ladder
Hope it doesn't take too long
Can't you see they'll come a day when it won't matter
Come a day when you'll be gone
I understand about indecision,
But I don't care if I get behind.
People living in competition;
All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Take a look ahead, Take a look ahead... Yea,yea,yea,yea

(guitar solo)

Well everybody's got advice they just
keep on givin'
Dosen't mean to much to me
Lots of people have to make believe
they're livin'
Can't decide who they should be
O-o-o-h...

I understand about indecision,
But I don't care if I get behind.
People living in competition;
All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Take a look ahead, Take a look ahead...Yea,yea,yea,yea

Look ahead! 


...and there it was, the last two words of the song... Look ahead, don't look behind, don't look back... just look ahead!

...and look up.

"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
-Philippians 4:7


sbb  18.8.11

No comments: