mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Friday, March 25, 2011

Write Shawn Write...

Journey: a traveling from one place to another, usually taking a rather long time; trip: a six-day journey across the desert.



Endless Journey


Wednesday (3.23.11) marked the 1-year anniversary of mybabyr0c.com. The journey started like most journeys; without any prediction, planning or perspective. Most journeys are wonderful that way. We don't notice small details, opportunities for growth and changing wind patterns until we find our self in the midst of something troubling and traumatic or tremendous and terrific.

Wonderfully, we don't get to choose our journeys. They often choose us.

And when my lonely walk down a dirt path began I was praying and wondering aloud what God's plan and purpose was for me.

"What do you want me to do God", I prayed. 


What now?
I prayed that same prayer for a few days last March, sitting in meditation waiting, wanting and longing for God to speak to my heart.

And He did.

He said write.

 
Start writing... keep writing
(Art by Maurenilson Freire)

I know many of you reading this right now find it hard to believe that God would actually tell anyone to write or to do anything for that matter. And I'm sure you really don't believe that he spoke to me. I get it. And as many of you ponder my words I'm without little doubt that more than a few eyes are rolling.


Start searching... keep searching
 (Art Image by Houk)

Like I said. I get it

But this is more than a story; it's the truth.

Over and over I would hear in my silence the word write

There was no audible voice pur se; it was just a continual wave of urges that wouldn't allow me to separate myself from the constant thought or internal nudging to write.

"What do you want me to write", I said impatiently. 

"I can't write a novel or book... I have no idea where to even begin."

"Just write", He said.

So write I did.
 
Every day is brand new...
(Art Image by Houk)  

Just like "Run Forrest Run" I began to "Write Shawn Write"

And write I did.

In the past year I have written roughly 101,111 words and 120 pieces on mybabyr0c.

I've touched upon everything from the great Jackie Robinson to the top ten Michael Jackson songs (the top 5 when he was black and the top 5 when he was white) of all-time. I have researched, and written, about superheroes, and the virtues they embody, and the reasons for men and children becoming angry. I have shared with my readers that my son Ryan met Picasso at McDonald's and that another one of my boys, Bryce, never wet to bed when he was young because as he stated: "the pee stayed in his underwear.

"I even wrote about LeBron James. 

Daydreamer
All of the pieces were written with complete sincerity and transparency with the goal in mind of developing an authentic voice.

I have shared my thoughts, opinions and beliefs valuing the importance of not coming off as an obnoxious know it all do gooder.

I hope I was able to accomplish that.

The writings were the beginning of a journey in which God enabled me to create mybabyr0c; a journey, and a journal, that has created significant growth in my life, and out of that growth I've been encouraged beyond belief.

I hope others have been encouraged also.

The Journey
During this past year of written communication I have realized that I love Lenny Kravitz and his talent more than I thought I did, and while growing in that realization I wondered aloud more than a few times why I can't be as cool or good-looking as he. I grasp the fact that I don't need to drink orange soda everyday and that I don't have to hate anyone under any circumstance just because they hate me or because they have hurt me. 

Quiet Pursuits 
(Art Image by Houk)

I still believe that Sting is insanely talented and that he will always be my favorite artist until I die; also I've come to find out that pure silence and quietness that can surround ones thoughts, dreams and hopes is the best sound that I have ever heard. 

Silence isn't only golden, it's purposeful and meaningful.

In the past twelve months I have intimately become aware that my wife is greater than I first thought and that having a family is a blessing; not a burden. I have grown in the fact that inviting God into my daily activities each morning, and thanking him for being responsive to my plea at the end of the day, is the single best thing I can do each day.


Grow where you're planted... if you do you 
just might bloom there too.

Finally, I recognize that I'm more blessed to have my children as my children than they are to have me as their father and that my parents are the smartest people I know. I have also become more conscious of the fact that I have more questions than I do answers and that all of my questions have one answer... the same answer... God, and that writing my thoughts down has better prepared me to discuss what I believe and why I believe, all the while enabling me to fulfill God's command in 1 Peter 3:15-17:

15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17 For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 
-1 Peter 3:15-17 

Lonely Pursuits...
(Art by Gris Grimly)

In the end, I've come to believe that James Taylor's song Fire & Rain and Celebrate Me Home by Kenny Loggins to be two of the best songs ever recorded and that during my journey I have noticed that I'm not an expert on marriage, parenthood, friendship, love, on doing the right thing, character, the bible or anything, but that I'm only an expert on me and me only. 

I know me better than anyone else except for God.

And I know if God can transform my life he can transform anyone's life.

This I do know.

My journey thus far has shown me that.

Begin your journey...


sbb  25.3.2011
1116
102,227


No comments: