mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wordsmith...

Word: a unit of language, consisting of one or more spoken sounds or their written representation, that functions as a principal carrier of meaning.


Those who know me well know that I love to read and I love to write. Ask my kids and they will tell you that their Dad is the one with book in hand, sitting out in left field or in the corner of the bleachers...by himself) at each one of their sporting events. The combination of "parents" and children's "sporting events" are too much for me to stomach on most occasions. There have been teams (mainly soccer teams...I'm a firm believer that soccer is a Communist plot to take over the youth of America) that I didn't say a word or introduce myself to one parent the entire year.  

Parents behave so poorly at many of their "children's" sporting events that I'm much better served simply sitting by myself and reading; without saying a word.

I know, I know...this isn't the greatest attitude from a person that professes to have a deep faith in God. I can hear the comments now; "where is all the love thy neighbor crap?"...God's "Golden Rule" was undoubtedly commissioned before the "soccer parent" was created.


OK, enough said. I digress.

Today my goal, before I went off on my soccer parent rant, was to pay homage to words of yesteryear; words that, at one time, were in the lexicon of the English language. Think of this as my personal "David Letterman's" top ten words from the past.

Here we go:

10.) Shenanigans: mischief; prankishness,deceit; trickery: Halloween shenanigans.

9.)    Hijinks (high jinks): boisterous celebration or merrymaking; unrestrained fun: The city is full of conventioneers indulging in their usual high jinks.

8.)    Poppycock: nonsense; bosh.

7.)    Haberdashery: a haberdasher's shop; the goods sold there. Men's store.


5).    Jazz: Slang. insincere, exaggerated, or pretentious talk: Don't give me any of that jazz about your great job.

4).     Buffoonery: a person who amuses others by tricks, jokes, odd gestures and postures, etc. 

3.)     Ballyhoo: a clamorous and vigorous attempt to win customers or advance any cause; blatant advertising or publicity. 

2.)     Hoodwinked: to deceive or trick.

1.)     Tomfoolery: foolish or silly behavior; tomfoolishness. 

"I think it's pure poppycock the amount of buffoonery and tomfoolery one has to deal with on a daily basis, not the mention the shenanigans and the many futile attempts to be hoodwinked by men who give me so much jazz and display so much ballyhoo and balderdash concerning their haberdashery; it is hijinks as usual.

I know it's a run on sentence and that I have too much time on my hands...work with me people..work with me.

...come to think of it, lollygag is a great word too.


sbb 17.5.2010  (Word Up!  .  Cameo)  .  477
 

No comments: