mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Saturday, February 19, 2011

"No socks, great style..." (re-post 3.24.10)

Sunshine: the shining of the sun; direct light of the sun.  2.) brightness or radiance; cheerfulness or happiness. 3.) a source of cheer or happiness.




In 1968 four young men from Garfield, New Jersey known as The Rascals (they were previously known as The Young Rascals) released their Billboard hit "A Beautiful Morning". The song reached number three on the Billboard charts and became a RIAA-certified Million Seller on June 28, 1968. The song opens with wind chimes and bells, and the unique and highly popular voice of Felix Cavaliere singing these words:

"It's a beautiful mornin' ahhh
I think I'll go outside a while
An jus' smile
Just take in some clean fresh air boy
Ain't no sense in stayin' inside
If the weather's fine an' you got the time
It's your chance to wake up and plan another brand new day
Either way
It's a beautiful mornin' ahhh."


If you just listened to the song it is very evident to the ear the carefree optimism that was reminiscent of their past hit Groovin' and what would become the trademark of The Rascals.

With the tremendous weather we in Ohio, specifically Columbus, have been experiencing the last three days, that has been nothing short of wonderful, I felt this song was an appropriate and a timely reminder how something as simple as sunshine can improve our outlook. Many of us are lifted just bit higher by its mere presents and our lows are reduced and not quite as low when the sun decides to stay for an extended period of time. During sun filled days in February that are unseasonably warm, and remind us of an early springtime day, our disposition can be drastically changed.

Florida sunrise...

Psalm 19:4-6 has one of the best descriptions of the sun that I have ever read:

"The sun lives in the heavens where God placed it. It bursts forth like a radiant
bridegroom after a wedding. It rejoices like a great athlete eager to run a race. The sun rises at one end of the heavens and follows its course to the other end. Nothing can hide from its heat."

I think is safe to say that many of us, if not all of us, love the sunshine and the warmth that it brings. I know I do. For me the sun always reminds me of the years I lived in West Palm Beach, Florida. I loved it there. The sunny days down in south Florida reminds me of many things, but one thing that I have carried with me since my days in Florida, fashion speaking, is how much I love wearing loafers without socks.

Yes, a loafer without socks is what I just said.

My opening made references to The Rascals and their musical talents, and acknowledged the Bible just to get to this point.

The point that I love the sunshine and the simple fact that I feel it is very fashion forward to wear trousers- yes I said trousers - with loafers and no socks.

So with this I decided to re-post a piece I wrote on March 24, 2010. It was the second piece I wrote on mybabyroc.

The piece was entitled, "No socks, great style..."

I hope you enjoy the piece... and the sun. (sbb . 556)



"No socks, great style..."

Style: an elegant, fashionable, or luxurious mode of living.


The first thing I noticed when I glanced at this picture was these aren't my kids. Anytime I see a picture with kids in it and their not mine I'm truly relieved. Get the picture? I have a lot of kids. Many evenings when we venture out to eat it's not unusual for everyone but the wait staff to call me dad...I mean really, it looks like a flippin United Nations meeting when we all sit down and break bread (literally & metaphorically). Secondly, I noticed  the "no socks"...a personal favorite of mine. When I lived in West Palm Beach, Fla. I would often see well dressed men with a tan that only Giorgio Armani & George Hamilton would envy wearing "no socks" with loafers and a blazer. Images of the Kennedy boys running around Palm Beach in their khaki poplin suits wearing loafers and "no socks" , chasing women around with more than just bare ankles often floated through my mind. Those kind of guys always look so rich...my wife says they look so rich because they are so rich. 

She has a point.

Even though the guy in the picture is wearing saddle shoes ( Loafers, saddle shoes...enough already...I'm starting to sound/feel like Carrie Bradshaw) he strikes me as a man that takes fashion serious. A man with a certain distinctive taste, a man that has style...add a bow tie and he would really be GQ.


sbb 24.3.10
250 




No comments: