mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Sunday, September 4, 2011

Birthday Project

Homework: schoolwork assigned to be done outside the classroom (distinguished from class work).




Below is a paper my son wrote for one of his classes at Columbus Academy last week. The project was based upon each student conducting interviews with their parents about their birth. Below are Bryce's words.


Baby Bryce



Bryce Bailey
Period 2
Mrs. Gorita
Birthday Project


            December 2, 1995 was most likely a regular day for most people, but for the Bailey family it was a day full of anticipation, excitement, and joy. Many American Studies professors and slavery historians would recognize December 2nd as the International Day of the Abolition of Slavery, but at Grant hospital I was one of many new born babies that were beginning our journey called life.  And though I was excited about my new “freedom” my Mom has said more than a few times with a smile on her face that, and I quote; “I couldn’t wait to have a baby, but now I regret it!” My mom’s humor is sharp and witty, but it can’t hide her true feelings about me. Still to this day, my parents always tell me that it was one of the happiest days of their lives when I was born. My father stated; “I was happy, but shocked at the same time, I couldn’t believe I was going to have another son!” My mother told me she couldn’t wait to hold me in her arms, but when she first saw me she thought I looked a little Asian, with my yellow skin and somewhat slanted eyes, but she later realized “It’s a Bailey thing.” 

Little Bryce

            Both my mother and father had the same answered when I asked them the question; where was I was born? They both had the same reply: “in the hospital.” I had two older brothers when I was born; Austin and Logan. Unfortunately, they weren’t there at the hospital when I was born, but my dad explained to me that they were excited with the reality of having a new baby brother. Everything was perfectly fine with me when I was born, except one thing; I had an enlarged belly button. Till this day, my mom always told me she cried when the doctors told her I had to go into surgery a few weeks later at Children’s Hospital.  The operation went very well; I came out of the hospital with a normal belly button.

Champ!

Believe it or not, my mom didn’t have much to do with naming me. My mom gave my dad and both grandmothers “permission” to name me, mainly because my mom was tired and wanted to sleep. “We probably changed your name several times during the naming process,” said my dad, “first, it was going to be Cole, then Coleman, and somehow we came up with Bryce, and decided Coleman would be your middle name.” Most of the “baby process” was new to my mom, simply because she never had a child before. This was much easier to my dad because he had already had two sons before me. This was a strange event because my mom is usually in control of every situation so having her let my dad take the reins was a new thing for the family but I am very happy that she let him. 

Batman

All in all, my first day in the world was pretty uneventful as I remember it, but as I have journeyed along since December 2, 1995 I have come to realize how fortunate I am to have such great friends, siblings, and experiences. I also realize how fortunate I am that “both” of my parents have provided me with a bright future and a hope for a great life and that they both gave me my last name; Bailey.
 















Mom, Bryce & Dad...



sbb 4.9.11

No comments: