mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Monday, September 5, 2011

Mommie Dearest

Correspondence: communication by exchange of letters.


 
Unlike the mother, Joan Crawford, in the 1981 bio-pic "Mommie Dearest" played by Faye Dunaway, my mother was always my biggest fan and supporter.


There were no disciplinary haircuts nor were there any "wire hanger" moments. My mother didn't scrub her face every morning at 4am with soap and scolding hot water, nor were there glasses full of vodka she guzzled down or threw in my father's face. And while I can't recall my mother taking an axe and sheers to our rose garden, I do remember her appropriately placing cleanliness right next to Godliness on an hourly basis.

I also remember my mother loving my sister and me more than life itself, and that our safety, security and spiritual growth was paramount to her, and ultimately was part and parcel of how she defined herself.

My sister and I were very fortunate; we had the dearest mother of all while growing up.

The reason for my thoughts concerning my mother is that on Saturday I wrote a piece entitled "Dear...," that took a look at the history of the hand written letter and the affect they have on the reader and the writer alike. Below is a letter my mother wrote me my sophomore year (fall of 1984) at Wittenberg during the beginning of basketball season.

As I reread, and rewrote, my mother's words I was touched by her concern for me and for the tough, and encouraging, words she had for me concerning my basketball situation at the time.

I can't adequately communicate to you how powerful, positive and pleasing it was to have, and still have, a mother that was so emotionally invested in my success as a student, and as an athlete. 

It was invaluable.

My mother has displayed those same qualities with my children, her grandchildren.

And again, it has been invaluable.

When I pour over my mother's letter 27 years later I realize that a good letter is one that is encouraging, sincere and authentic, and challenging at times. A well crafted hand written letter is delivered in love whether the words are encouraging or challenging.  

Hand written letters are powerful.

As I mentioned earlier, below are my mother's words from the fall of 1984, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Our correspondences were, and still are, very special to me.

Nana & All the Kings Men.



"Take each day one at a time. But also attack each day with the full armor of God on."
-Mom

Dear Shawn,

I truly hope this week has been a good one for you. I have prayed so hard for you this week. I'm going to keep on praying. Really read this article over... it keeps saying self-confidence and believing in your self is the key. Last Saturday in the scrimmage you were just a transportation player, and as coach Hunter said; "I have a plenty of players like that." Make something good happen on the floor. Even if you were still sick from eating peanuts last week, I know that God has healed you. Wednesday morning I listened to the 700 Club and this lady talked about God healing her, it took over a year for the complete healing. Just trust and obey God, there's no other way. Remember the "five" ways to change your circumstances by Marilyn Hickey: (1) Know that God has a plan for your life. (2) Believe God's best for your situation and stop doubting. (3) React with God's word. (4) Attack your situation with God's creative word. (5) Trust God confidently. Believe Shawn that He is going to do it.

Job 32: 7-9

"I thought, ‘Age should speak;
   advanced years should teach wisdom.’
8 But it is the spirit in a person,
   the breath of the Almighty, that gives them understanding.
9 It is not only the old who are wise,
   not only the aged who understand what is right." 

Shawn, get plenty of rest and take care of yourself,

Love,
Mom

P.S. Do you need Dad to pick you up on Wednesday?



sbb  5.9.11
684



No comments: