mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Sunday, October 31, 2010

Keen Intellect....

Intellect: the power or faculty of the mind by which one knows or understands, as distinguished from that by which one feels and that by which one wills; the understanding; the faculty of thinking and acquiring knowledge.


Last Saturday my wife and I were having a discussion on race in America and during that conversation I remembered Dr. Michael Eric Dyson intelligently debate the remarks Bill Cosby made in 2004 about black America.

In the end I thought they both made some very valid points.

Having heard Dr. Dyson speak at Wittenberg University a few years ago during the Martin Luther King Day yearly celebration and speaker series I was mesmerized by his keen intellect and his ability to articulate his thoughts. You don't have to agree with everything he says but I would find it very hard to find someone, or agree with anyone, who doesn't believe him to be highly intellectual.

With all of this being said, I sent an email to his show's website expressing my appreciation for his intellect and what I received in return was an email thanking me for my kind words and, after checking out my blog, an acknowledgment stating that I was being considered to be one of three people in the nation to be on his radio show the day after the upcoming midterm elections.


Yes, I was shocked to.

Below is the email I received from his staff and my reply.


From the Dyson Staff

Thank you Shawn for writing in a few days ago. We appreciate the comments and we would like to invite you on the show if you are interested. We are producing an election wrap up for November 3rd, where we invite fans and listeners of the show to discuss the elections turn outs in their hometown. We came up with a list of questions to help select the guest. 

1. Where are you from?
2. How often do you listen to the show?
3. Where do you listen to the show? (i.e. radio station, podcast, stream by web)
4. Occupation?
5. How is the election affecting your hometown and what would you like to discuss on air about the election?

Please provide a number and the best time to reach you.

Thank you once again and we look forward to hearing from you.

The Dyson Show Staff


My Reply 

Dyson Show Staff,

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my email. I really appreciate it. As far as the show is concerned, I’m honored (and completely shocked) that you would invite me in as a possible participant on Mr. Dyson’s show. I would first like to say that I’m not an political expert and I’m not sure how I could possibly add to your show. Secondly, and probably most importantly, I’m a person with opinions like most other people and think being a part of the ‘political dialogue’ (nationally & locally) is important. Again, thank you for your possible interest in me for your show and for reading my email. Below is answers to the questions you put forth:

            Where are you from?
·         Powell, Ohio (suburb of Columbus, Ohio)

            How often do you listen to the show?
·         Once or twice a week
   
           Where do you listen to the show? (i.e. radio station, podcast, stream by web)
·         Web

           Occupation?
·         Sales Representative for International Paper

           How is the election affecting your hometown and what would you like to  discuss on air about the election?
·         Not to over simplify the question, even though I operate better when things are kept simple, but our hometown is not being affected any different than other areas in America during this midterm election. The choices of midterm voters are paramount because of the simple truth that those elected will make decisions that will touch millions of American lives. These issues range from taxes and national security to Social Security benefits and Medicare. The decisions made by the voters on Nov. 2nd are big; the impact on millions of American lives by those elected is even bigger. Everything from education policy to health care and taxes are on the table, and which party is in control makes a big difference. Governor races throughout the country could tremendously affect the balance of power and are important to more than just the people in the specific state that is in the middle of a Governor’s race. At the end of the day, voters in November will help determine whether Republicans or Democrats will run the House and Senate. The party in power in each house runs the committees, the most powerful clubs in Congress. Committee members control which bills come to a vote, and bills that committees approve can affect issues including taxes, immigration and health care.
·         What would I like to discuss?
o   There are two issues that stand out to me that I’m not really sure I could expand upon more than just to say this midterm election is about MONEY and it is an early referendum on a democratic controlled House & Senate and ultimately on President Obama and many of his unwanted policies.
 
Thanks,
Shawn


sbb 31.10.10
867



 

2 comments:

Erica said...

This is awesome, Shawn! You have to keep us posted on this!

sbb said...

Thank you very much...