mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Friday, April 2, 2010

Got Commitment?

Commitment: the act of committing, pledging, or engaging 
                            oneself. A pledge or promise; obligation.

Yesterday marked my parent's 47th wedding anniversary and before anyone thinks this is some kind of "April Fool's" joke...It isn't. During a time much different than now, my parents drove off to Richmond, Indiana with my mom's best friend, and her boyfriend, and eloped.

They said "I do" to one another forever. 
 
 Dad, Mom, & Stewart (the best man)
1963 

It's funny, I always found it ironic that my parents got married on a day that is synonymous with the word "fool". Then again "fools day" is probably the best description and most honest assessment of anyone's wedding day. Relax, I'm joking...obviously I think wedding days are great, I've had "three" of them. Mark Twain said it best; "The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year".

Genius, absolutely genius.

April Fool's Day is one of those holiday, non-holiday enigmas. The history of "All fools day", as it is sometimes referred to as, is somewhat uncertain. The one thing we do know is that the French screwed it up...go figure. Most of the evidence concerning the beginning of April Fool's Day points back to 1582 when Charles IX was the King of France. Story has it that Pope Gregory XIII introduced a new calendar: the Gregorian calendar. This calendar was a departure from the Julian calendar and the lunar cycle used by the church. Up to this point the New Years was celebrated for one week (March 25th - April 1st). The new calendar changed our New Years celebration from April 1st to January 1st.

I told you the French screwed everything up.

Since all news traveled by foot (I wish this was the mode of transportation for all of today's bad news) many people didn't receive the news for several years making it difficult to have total compliance. Others, the more rebellious types, chose to continue to celebrate the new year on April 1st. And by doing so these people were forever labeled "fools".

I have no idea where I'm going with this or what Charles IX and the Gregorian calendar has do with my parents.

But what I do know is that my Mom & Dad are anything but fools. They did it the right way. They made a commitment to each other and to my sister and I.


They have been a consistent and constant example of people that honor their marriage vows and who keep their word. Their loyalty and promises were independent of feelings, disappointment, and despair.

They had two responsibilities: to love each other and to love their children. Thanks mom and dad for not shrinking from either of those responsibilities. 

I love you very much and Happy Anniversary!

sbb  1.4.10  (Truly . Lionel Richie)  .  449


No comments: