mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Sunday, April 18, 2010

Who's Your Caddy?

Caddy: Golf. a person hired to carry a player's clubs, find the ball, etc. A person who runs errands, does odd Jobs, etc.


Originally I was planning on "Who's Your Daddy?" as the title for this piece. The piece was going to be a tour de force that highlighted the importance of being selfless and a literary triumph that encouraged others to be a "giver", not a "taker". I was going to be cleaver and use Toby Keith's hit song with the same title as today's featured song. Then I listened to the lyrics and realized that wasn't going to work.

"I git the money, you git the honey":...I'm sorry, it's "I got the money, you got the honey (a little country humor... I know I will stop) let's cut a deal, let's make a plan...who's your buddy, who's your man?" Ah, that really doesn't jive with the theme of this "going nowhere" piece.

Then with the touch of a key "Daddy" became "Caddy" and we were on our way. 

All kidding aside, the real reason I choose the title is because my best friend in Florida was caddying for one of his twin boys this weekend in the Terra Cotta Invitational in Naples, Florida. The same event his son, Matthew, won last year and became the youngest golfer to ever win the event. He was 16. The same event Sergio Garcia finished second to Matt Kuchar in 1997.


Joe & Matt (2009 Terra Cotta)


Both of Joey's boys are exceptional golfers. Both are internationally ranked, Matt is currently ranked 20th in the world and 19th in the "Polo" golf rankings. Both have played in the U.S. Junior Amateur Open (2008 at Shoal Creek & 2009 Trump National)...the same event Tiger won "3' times as junior amateur golfer. The boys also lead their High School team to their first state championship since 1983, Matt finished first and his brother, Alec, finished 3rd. I'm also proud to say that both have accepted scholarships to play golf at their father's Alma mater, Southern Methodist University, where their father played basketball in the 1970's.



As Joe, a periodontist in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, caddied for one of his boys again this weekend I was reminded and encouraged by his selfless actions and his unyielding commitment to his boys success. In every corner of Joe's life I have known him only to be a giver, never a taker. 

Joe, Matt, Alec, & Vern (Me)

His actions reminded me how my parents were there for me all throughout my childhood, never missing any of my games from junior high to college. They were committed. They were committed to each other and to all of their children's interests and activities.

Joey is a great friend, but he is a better father. I'm thankful for having a friend that is such a great example of what a father truly is and for encouraging me, by his actions, that others always come before self.

sbb  18.4.10   
506  




 

No comments: