mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pretty in Pink...

Pink: a color varying from light crimson to pale reddish purple. 


This past weekend has been a disaster for me from a technical standpoint. A very clever "chap" from Latvia (feel free to substitute "Meine Lieblingsperson" for "chap"...it means "my favorite person" in German. Besides, I couldn't find how you say it in Latvian) hacked into my computer and infected it with everything known to mankind. The reason I know this is because Chase bank declined my $3.99 purchase of "Ken's Steakhouse" dressing (salad is a must for dinner) at the local grocery store. "I'm sorry Miss" I stated, "this never happens to me"....at least not for $3.99, now if I was at Olive Garden for dinner, with my wife, then yes this would probably happen. 

I never cared for Latvia and now I care even less. 

Latvia's history as part of Nazi Germany's civil administration headquarters and the fact that 500 -1500 members of the infamous Arajs Commando killed over 26,000 Jews hasn't left a very good "second' impression upon me either. I know, I know, people and countries can and do change, but the fact that Latvia has a national soccer team (not a very good one I might add) tells me all things can't be much better. Soccer really does suck. I'm sure I've offended over half of my readers and I apologize, but I'm not the only one with this opinion...just look at the ratings...awful. Anyway, I hope "Meine Lieblingsperson" in Germany, as well as, Latvia will forgive me for my harsh assessment of his/her homeland. If by chance Germany's Boris Becker (Tennis) or Bernhard Langer (2 time Masters Champion '85 & '93) are reading this I apologize and let me be the first blogger to acknowledge your extraordinary careers. 

Well done boys, well done.

Speaking of the Masters, you had to be living under a rock if you didn't see the newest Buddhist member of the PGA tour play this weekend. His name is Tiger Woods. Now before anyone thinks this is going to be my creative outlet to share my Tiger jokes, it is not. On the other hand, I do think Tiger, President Obama, and Urkel (Jaleel White) have in a lot in common.


Go ahead and laugh...it's funny because its true. None of these guys could dress, dance, or get a date. These guys are the ultimate "Late Bloomers". I believe that is why Tiger went sideways in the first place like a weekend hackers tee shot. For the first time in his life he could get any girl he wanted, and he tried. I'm not saying he was right, I'm just saying that he was afforded opportunities most men will never be presented with. 

Period.

Before anyone gets offended I must note that I am black (or somewhere between high yellow and beige as I was told in my younger years), I love Tiger Woods, and I was a dork also. Picture a cross between Urkel and Carlton from the Fresh Prince sitcom and you have an idea of who I was in my teens.


My only saving grace was that I could play basketball.

The point that I want to make is not what Tiger did ( I love Tiger & it's none of my business), but what Phil Mickeleson (as far as we know) hasn't done. As America watched the Masters coverage all week the focus was on Tiger and the absence of his family (except for his mom), on Sunday, at 7pm, the focus was on Phil and the presence of his family. As he approached the 18th green with victory in hand the cameras were focus on his three beautiful children and his wife Amy, who was diagnosed with breast cancer 11 months ago.


The irony wasn't lost upon me as a relieved Mickelson walked up the 18th fairway with a pink ribbon on his hat. This victory was about his wife and his family. On the other end of the spectrum, the only thing that could have been worse for Tiger was if he would've been walking up the final fairway with Phil and if he had to present the "Green Jacket" to Mickelson himself.


It was reported that Tiger left immediately on his own in the back of a sponsor's car, head down, his private jet waiting. Can you imagine how empty Tiger would have felt if he would have won the Masters. After all the "handlers" left and all the business partners went to their homes Tiger would've been all alone. On the other hand, Phil Mickelson was carried out on the shoulders of America, his head held high, his wife and three children alongside. In the end, it really does pay to be a family man. 

Congratulations Mickelson family on a job well done...well done indeed.

sbb 13.4.10  (Family Man  .  Hall & Oates)  .  819


 

No comments: