mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dealing with adversity...

Adversity: adverse fortune or fate; a condition marked by misfortune, calamity, or distress: A friend will show his or her true colors in times of adversity. 


I'mmmm baaacccck! Thanks to "goggle blogger" I've been out of commission for over a week. I feel that I can say without any hesitation or reservation, that I fully understand what my wife goes through when she leaves Reese in the nursery during church service. Separation anxiety is real, and it dwells deep within the four walls of our house. You can take my two little monsters for a couple of years, but please don't deny me the therapeutic outlet that I call "writing" (I know some of you feel as if I'm using the term "writing" lightly, but it is what it is) or take my little princess away from me.

I don't do well without either.


...Good Day 


 ...Long Day...trust me on this one.


Looking back on this minor inconvenience and very small adversity I realized the timing couldn't have been better. Sunday is the day that I like to share something uplifting and encouraging without being a preacher. The world has enough preachers and I'm not qualified to be one or act like one. My goal is to simply encourage and to give you a small glimpse into what has made a tremendous difference in my life.

I realize that many reading this don't really give a whole lot of thought to God on a daily basis and that they are not really interested in listening to someone go on about how great "their" God is...all the while, doing very little to display a life that is any different than anyone else who doesn't claim Jesus Christ as their personal Savior.

Many of us would rather see a good sermon than hear a good sermon.

Unfortunately, many of us have witnessed a person who talks a good game but fails miserably at putting into action the very things they profess to be true. One word comes to mind...hypocrite.

So with that in mind, my main purpose on Sunday was to encourage the people that are reading this piece right now; the people that are experiencing adversity in their lives today. My mom likes to say that we are either in a storm, just came out of a storm, or there is one right around the corner. We all experience adversity, some more than others, and the more we can increase our knowledge in how to "handle" adversity the better our lives will be.

I've come to realize that through adversity comes our greatest potential for personal growth, and for those who have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior, it is great opportunity for spiritual growth. The once baseball great Satchel Paige said; "Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines". 

Satchel Paige 


I have found peace and strength when I've praised God for the suffering and pain in my life; whether I'm the cause of it or not. Job 1:21 states; "...The Lord gave me everything I had, and the Lord has taken it away. Praise the name of the Lord." Praising God and asking for wisdom, knowledge, the fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5:22) and most of all, for a growth that will lead to a closer walk with Him will increase the peace in our lives exponentially.

Dealing with adversity is tough but I found four truths that have never failed me:

  1. View everything from God.
  2. Pray for His goal for you in this adversity (what am I to learn).
  3. Surrender to His unknown will.
  4. Rest in His trustworthiness to see you through it. (Pslm.61 & 62).
Though this piece was meant for Sunday I felt compelled to post this today because many people that we know (and more than we know and realize) are in the midst of a very trying and tough situation. My thought today is wherever you are and whatever situation you are going through, God loves you and He is truly concerned about you.


sbb  8.6.10   (He's Concerned . CeCe Winans) . 685



No comments: