mybabyr0c.com

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." -Proverbs 12:25
Midnight Blue (1963): Jazz guitarist Kenny Burrell featuring Stanley Turrentine on tenor saxophone, Major Holley on double bass, Bill English on drums and Ray Barretto on conga. Midnight Blue is one of Burrell’s best-known works for Blue Note Records. In 2005, NPR included the album in its "Basic Jazz Library", describing it as "one of the great jazzy blues records".

He said, She said...

"You are not designed for everyone to like you - Wise Man Phil


FRAGILE: Sting, Yo Yo Ma, Dominic Miller & Chris Botti


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Surpassing Awkwardness

Bail: the state of release upon being bailed.



Sometimes relationships stink...

Last week I ask my son, Austin, to be part of a writing team that I lead at our church and ask him to participate by writing a 200 word "daily devotional" on the awkwardness of relationships that would be distributed to our church's entire email list. 

The topic is part and parcel to the sermon series Pastor Ken is preaching on entitled "The Island."

We cannot afford to be an Island. We have to be a part of the main land. A part of the continent. A part of the body. 

Ken continued the series "The Island" this past Sunday by bringing us a message on the awkward situations in which we often find ourselves in the relationships that we have. We all have those awkward moments, but what do we do with them?


I'm extremely proud of you Austin and thank you very much for taking the time to express your feelings in words.

I love you, Dad.


"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main."
-John Donne

Below is what Austin wrote.


Surpassing Awkwardness 



Central Thought:  We are all brothers and sisters in Christ



Key Verse:  Proverbs 1:33 (read the chapter)

"But all who listen to me will live in peace, untroubled by fear"

  

Being a 19-year-old male, the awkwardness associated with meeting new people can be overwhelming. Forming new relationships, especially WITH the opposite sex, is something that can be very awkward. Generally, my peers say if meeting someone is awkward, "forget it, just bail." I disagree. Yeah, meeting new people proposes a threat because we're forced out of our comfort zone and most of us fear that. But listen to what God has to say about fear in Proverbs, "But all who listen to me will live in peace, untroubled by fear". (NLT 1:33)  God created everyone in his image; we are brothers and sisters in Christ. No fear there. When you look at it that way, forming a new relationship isn't that intimidating because everyone is united in Christ; we're all "OF" God, we're all his children.



The more daunting task is starting a relationship with God. For many people it may be awkward or uncomfortable to talk to God and accept his love, or His existence. But, as Christians we see firsthand the victory in having a relationship with God, and experience the power of surpassing awkwardness for the sake of a meaningful relationship. Let that truth be our guide when entertaining relationships on earth and remember we're all brothers and sisters in Christ. What's so awkward about that?


Discussion Questions:
  
1.    Do you fear developing new relationships? If so why?

2.    Do you bail when a relationship becomes awkward and uncomfortable? If so why?

3.    Is God seen and involved in every one of your relationships? If not why?



 
   
Austin Bailey 


My name is Stephen Austin Bailey. I'm 19 years old and I attend Denison University. I am predicting to be an International Studies and Communication major because I have a passion for diversity and international happenings, as well as how societies and cultures communicate. I am the sophomore catcher for the Denison Big Red baseball team. My parents' names are Shawn and Tracey, and I have five brothers and two sisters. Their ages range from 21 to 2 years old.

I enjoy meeting and talking to new people whenever the chance presents itself. I am currently applying to become a Presidential Ambassador at Denison, in order to greet speakers and artists who speak and perform at Denison.

Since I was young I have always had a passion for Christ. I would say that my grandmothers, Karon Swan and Chris Bailey, have been the most influential Christians in my life, and I owe a lot of who I am today to them.  

Cypress Wesleyan Church


Did you miss this weekend at Cypress? Click here to listen to or watch the message

Would you like to read a previously published Daily Steps again? Click here  to find the archived devos.


Click here to receive Pastor Ken's weekly email




sbb 19.10.11

No comments: